WOW!! Can you believe the end of October is already approaching? In just a couple of weeks, ghosts & goblins will take over our streets for Halloween, and then before you know it, Santa and his reindeer will be flying from rooftop to rooftop spreading Christmas joy around the world.
Did you know Diwali is an official holiday not only in India, but also in Nepal, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Mauritius, Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago, Suriname, Malaysia, Singapore and Fiji?
Diwali is commonly known as the “Festival of Lights” and symbolizes the triumph of good over evil; light over darkness.
This year, the official date for Diwali falls on Tuesday, November 13th.
The 9th annual Vancouver Celebrates Diwali Festival runs from Nov. 3-10, with the main event, Diwali Downtown taking place on Nov. 10th @ Roundhouse Community Centre from 3-8pm. See the full details at www.vandiwali.ca.
Leading up to Diwali is another fun celebration called Navaratri, which literally translates to “nine nights.” Navaratri is celebrated in many regions of India, but it is a major festival in the western Indian state of Gujarat and also in West Bengal. Navaratri started onTuesday, October 16th and will run for 9 days until Wednesday, October 24th.
Here in Vancouver, the Soni Cultural Society of B.C is presenting their own Navaratri Festival. Join in for someGarba and Raas dancing with a live music group from India calledBhikhudan Gadhavi & Matangiben.
Here are the details:
- Date: Tuesday, October 16th to Tuesday, October 23rd
- Time: 8pm onwards.
- Location: Riverside Palace
- Address: 14431 Knox Way, Richmond, BC
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.sonisociety.com
- $5/night: Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- $2/night: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
- Children 12 and under are free.
- Date: Sunday, October 21st, 2012
- Time: 11am to 6pm
- Location: Crown Palace Banquet Hall
- Address: 201-12025 Nordel Way, Surrey, BC
- Phone: 604.897.4102
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.bigphatindianweddings.com
Visit Big Phat Indian Wedding for more details!
That’s it for me today. Until next time…